: King Kong!  ( 1262 )

Mert

• Kenneth Edwards
  • : 420
King Kong!
« : March 04, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
do you guy think it worth seeing?
suppose To be the prequel to the 2014 Godzilla to set the stage Kong VS Godzilla.
reviews be Lackluster so far.

markem

• Administrator
  • : 2,128
Re: King Kong!
« #1 : March 04, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
Well, King Kong was someone's wet dream. :-) Just not in the mood for King Kong. It was an ok film (original). Got mixed reviews then. Peter Jackson's King Kong was just bad. Not horribly bad. Just bad. For unknown reasons hollywood just seems to like making King Kong movies which makes no sense. I do not plan on seeing it.

I'm not going to see the new Mars Attacks movie either. The premise is really dumb. If there was life on Mars and it just coated the surface of it - then the Mars Explorer would have been taken over. Now - if they had of set their sites on the moon around Jupiter where they suspect life to be - that would have been interesting. But not Mars and not with something that is supposed to have coated Mars. Other really dumb things they say in the trailer is "It only has muscle and nerve fibers in it." First, if only those two are there then it would be dead. You have to have all of the other things such as a way to reproduce, excrete waste, and so on. Then it is just another dumb monster out to eat the world.  Oh - and of course it must be impossible to kill. Even withstanding 10,000 or 20,000 degree temperatures which you would have if you tried to re-enter the earth's atmosphere. So just dumb.

The Great Wall was good because of the absolutely wonderful costumes. But the story sucked. Very predictable. But loved the action sequences and the costumes.

Mert

• Kenneth Edwards
« #2 : March 04, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
just sad there just not a movie coming out soon worth seeing atm...
We talked about Ghost in the Shell ... we shall about that thu.

Would agree about the Great wall lame story either else looked nice.

markem

• Administrator
« #3 : March 04, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »
You should look elsewhere for great movies. Try the River Oaks Theater. It plays movies that are really pretty good but they do almost no advertising. Look for movies that won at SunDance or Golden Globes. These do not play at American Theaters because the big corporations didn't make them. Every once in a while you will see one make it all the way to the big theater chains - but normally they are shown at small theaters or just come out on DVDs. Just like drive in theaters, we are seeing the death throes of big screen theaters. After all, just get a 72" screen and enjoy all the movies you want at home.  I have somewhere around 2,000 movies on DVDs at the house. I've converted these to ISO images or WMV files. I'm watching Babylon 5 - all five seasons plust the three movies they made. If I do get on SSD I will probably go back and watch all of the Avatar - The Last Air Bender series again. That is about a six week process.  And I don't have to put up with people using their cell phones, babies screaming, people talking, and the like.  Sad but true.  Just buy some popcorn, get a drink from the fridge (unsweet iced tea for me) and maybe some no-sugar candies. See a great movie and enjoy yourself.  If I get on SSD I might also get Amazon Primes' video stuff. They have Game of Thrones and I will watch it from the beginning. They are at season 7 I think. So it will take a while for me to catch up. :-)

Myth Dominion

• : 1,190
« #4 : March 05, 2017, 01:32:44 AM »
    I haven't been a fan of the last few Godzilla or King Kong Movies.   I am pretty sure that the last ones I liked were pre 1990.   :)    I didn't even like Cloverfield too much.   I don't really watch too many movies in the theater any more as it is....  I am pretty sure the last movie I saw was Rogue One....  And before that Ghostbusters.  :)   

Mert

• Kenneth Edwards
« #5 : March 07, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »
Rogue one was okay much better then Force awakens...
they Darth Vader Justice.

Ghostbusters was a Bust for me..

watched Logan yesterday evening.. it did not do much for me. maybe for you guys !

markem

• Administrator
« #6 : March 07, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
Everything comes to an end.

I have been watching Babylon 5, On the last season disc 5. Everyone is leaving. Londo, G'Kar, Lyta, Garabaldi, Steven and last but not least Dylene and Sheridan. Vir will remain on Babylon 5, Zach has taken over for Sheridan, and the other positions have been filled as well. Not the same. I can see why it went off the air.

The thing is - everyone said it was never finished. I even thought that. But actually, the story is over. The Shadow War was won, and everyone went off to the next thing  It is just the normal way.

Myth Dominion

« #7 : March 07, 2017, 07:48:56 PM »
   I didn't think too much of Ghostbusters either.   I went mostly so my three nieces and nephew could see it together.   I pretty much missed the first five or ten minutes waiting for their food and only have a vague idea as to what happened.  :)   I liked Rogue One a lot better -- even though the first five or ten minutes of it were without sound.   :)   They never restarted the movie, either.  :)

It seems a lot of my students went to see Logan and liked it.   I am still not really motivated to see it.   

Mert

• Kenneth Edwards
« #8 : March 07, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »
enjoyed B5 2ND season to after the Shadow war after that it went down hill,
G'kar and Londo was fun in the end they had there roles switched,

Yea seems lot of people enjoyed Logan, Meh maybe just getting to old to enjoy those type  of movies,
fun fact they showed the Movie "Shane" in it from that point it just kept remind of Shane in different parts of the movie,

markem

• Administrator
« #9 : March 07, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
I think they did Logan because people want to know how characters end up. The problem is that in the comics they never die but in real life people get old and do die. Look at the Fast and the Furious. Very big shock when the actor was killed in that car crash. The current movie I will not go see. I think it is a "I have to work out my feelings over the guy that died" kind of movie.

Everyone has said Rogue One is really good. I haven't gone to see it because I just have given up on them making a movie like the original first three films. But everyone keeps saying it is like the first three films.  So I don't know. Maybe I'll watch it by getting it at RedBox or something like that.

In watching B5 from the beginning - originally I didn't like Season 1 with Jefferey Sinclair. He had stone face. Look - I'm laughing, look - I'm crying...blech. But after all of these years I started at the beginning and you know what? He actually wasn't half bad. True - his face is not expressive like Bruce Boxleithner (or however you spell his name). Bruce's face actually seems to light up when he laughs and when he is mad - you really can tell he is mad. But I can see more emotion in Sinclair now than before. He tries to look and act mad but his face just doesn't show it. But you can see it in his eyes. His eyes light up when he is happy or get darker when he is mad. So I actually enjoyed his role.  Interesting thing is - he was the first person you saw in Season 1 Disc 1 and he is also the first person to leave B5. Never to return. So in many ways - he was showing what was going to happen to everyone else. In many ways, B5 is a precursor to Game of Thrones in that GoT loses people left and right. A lot more violently than B5. But B5 killed people left and right also - only they were secondary characters and not major ones.

Anyway, Logan is a "This is the end" movie. I think it was fairly well done. I just hate to see characters die off. Plus, since they have already introduced alternate universes/dimensions - somewhere out there Logan is still fighting on and Xavier is still sitting in his chair. :-)

Mert

• Kenneth Edwards
« #10 : March 09, 2017, 08:00:30 PM »
Good syfy show for a few season is was Eureka from Syfy.
Have any of you few watched the Movie Silence?
your thoughts on it that one please.

markem

• Administrator
« #11 : March 09, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
I watched Eureka. Great series. Sort of like Warehouse 13 and Poltergist. If only I could get my hands on those books with all of the artwork in them! :-)

markem

• Administrator
« #12 : March 10, 2017, 07:50:30 PM »
Just finished Babylon 5 all six seasons and movies. In tears again. Over it. I think I just can't handle the long - drawn out goodbyes. Too many people have died for me. Almost no time to recover.  Really sad. Oh welll - on to the next depressing movie.

This movie is "The Black Death" starring Boromir (or rather the actor who played Boromir). Death, death, death. But done in such a way your heart strings are not yanked out of your chest like with Babylon 5 or Bleach. Basically a witch hunt. More and more and more until finally they get her. Trouble is - she brought his girl friend/love of his life back from the dead. I can see from the 1300's point of view that becomes "WITCH HUNT!" but.....should they burn Jesus at the stake because he brought someone back from the dead? I was like "Yeah, double standards throughout the movie." So I was ok with it. Did not shed a single tear. :-/  Go figure. :-)

markem

• Administrator
« #13 : March 12, 2017, 12:59:27 AM »
Moving several hundred gigabytes of movies from one disk drive to the other. It is slow business and reminds me of Windows 3.1 or 95 and the old disk drives. But the only problem here is the sheer size of the files. USB 2.0 can do megabytes but not gigabytes quickly. So just painful. All 25 discs of Kung Fu - The Legend Continues has taken all day just to move them from one computer to the other via TightVNC.  It is running at 54 Mb per second. (That's mega bits - not bytes.) I have to transfer them from the graphics computer where I recorded them to my main laptop and then over to the TV computer. So I've only been working on getting all of them over to my main laptop today. Now, overnight, they are going to be transferred to the TV computer so I can watch them later on.

I watched "Centurion" today. Whoever did the film misspelled the name to be "Cemturion". What a "CEMturion is i have no idea." It was an ok film about the Romans taking over England.  Interesting costumes and make-up.

I also watched "Captain Snbad" With the guy from Lost in Space (original TV show). I love the film. It is a very simplistic plot and the special effects are just terrible by today's standards but it is a guy beats up bad guy and gets the girl kind of movie.

I also watched (and am still watching) "Clash of the Gods!" It is a PBS movie about Zeus, Heracles, an Persephone so far. About half way through the film. A lot of interesting facts like they found a temple to Heracles in Athens recently (well, recently in the film) and they also traced down some of the myths of Heracles. So they have verified the stables and some other locations but they can't verify such things as him having killed a lion or tamed a gigantic ox, and so forth other than to say that there really was a city (Crete I think) where he basically beat the poor ox into unconsciousness and took it back to Greece. Zeus was played by this guy who was pretty good at acting like a god. Great facial expressions and such. They traced him down to a city that only a few statues still remain and the interesting thing is - is that there is a statue of Zeus which reads "Zeus - the highest". It turns out that Deus comes from the word Zeus and or Deity means the God Zeus. So they tied Zeus to Jehovah/God of the Jews and also traced the fact that the Jews were coming to Zeus' temple and leaving offerings like the Star of David there showing that the Jews actually originally worshipped Zeus. Heracles was equated to Jesus. Heracles, under the influence of Hera, killed his wife and childrend (they found a place where it was reported that he had buried his wife and children and there actually are skeletons in the tomb. A woman and two kids.) Then he went on his twelve labors (12 Apostles), and redeemed himself at the last, died, and was summoned to live with the Olympians forevermore (Christ' many tribulatins and eventual death/ressurection into heaven). They also talk about the war between the gods and the Titans (Zeus' father). After years of doing digs they found that at the same time the war of the gods & titans began being recorded - there was this cataclysmic volcanic eruption on an island off the coast of Greece. It basically blew the island completely off of the map. Like Krakatoa only larger. So large that the ash fallout was twenty stories tall. Most of Greece was wiped out. After this, the entire set of stories of the Greek Gods began. They estimate that people as far away as England were killed by the ash. They estimated it to have been the equivalent of 50,000 atomic bombs set off during World War II by the US in Japan. Krakatoa is estimated to be around 10,000. So five times as powerful. I forget what the name of the island was and I am unsure if it is there today. But I know it was near Crete.

Another interesting thing from the "Clash of the Gods" was that one of Heracles' endeavors was to bring back the golden apples that Hera grew. This was linked to be the same story as Adam and Eve in the garden. IE: Apples, almost naked guy (sorry - no lady), and a God who owned them. Anyway, It was said that there was a wall of land going across the Mediterranean at that time. Heracles sundered the wall thus parting europe from africa. Strangely enough, there is a cave in the side of the Rock of Gibraltar and inside of it thousands of coins and other objects depicting Heracles have been found there. Again, many of them were Jewish objects. How do they know they are Jewish? I don't know. Maybe they say "Made in Jerusalem". :-/ Anyway - they showed several of them.

I am now on the story of Hades. It turns out that there are a set of caves that go directly under the mainland of Greece. There are all sorts of chambers in these caves and they go for miles towards the inland. In many of the chambers are relics dedicated to Hades. So they now think that the story of Hades taking Persephone into the underworld might actually be true. That some guy may have been sensitive to sunlight and he took a bride into the caves. Not having modern day electricity/flashlights - it would have been impossible for anyone to find them in the caves.

The oracle of Delphi. It turns out that there are cracks under the earth at Delphi. These cracks emit Ethylene gas. (Yeah - the same stuff they use in gasoline.) They now know that Ethylene gas can cause someone to go on a psychedelic trip. Like with LSD, Heroine, etc.... So now they believe the Oracle of Delphi was on a drug trip when they spoke. Yeah, just about the only reason Heracles would be given twelve really nasty things to do.

Oh yeah, and one of the titans was called Typhon which is where we get the word Typhoon. Because of what he could do.

And the word Toxic comes from Heracles' bow and arrows. After killing the seven headed hydra Heracles dipped his arrows in the blood of the hydra which made them the first poisonous arrows. The Greek word for "Box" is Toxa (or something like that) and that is where we got Toxin (something that is poisonous to the human body). I would have thought they would use the word arrow - but no - they used the word box. Probably because it delivered the toxic substance. Heracles used these arrows several times to get around problems he couldn't otherwise overcomes. Like the golden apples were guarded by a creature with three bodies joined together, three pairs of legs, three heads, and as tall as a tree. Heracles just shot him with an arrow and - dead. Kind of ho-hum.

Anyway, "Clash of the Gods" is not bad.

Myth Dominion

« #14 : March 12, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
Some of that I have come across in other books (although I have been unable to find where there was a Latin historian which associated jehovah with Greek and Roman gods and planets. :( I'll dig it up again eventually).   There was another that connected Apollo and the sun to Jesus and Mary Magdalena  to Artemis through sun/moon imagery, Jewish traditions and law, and similar titles names and relationships of Greek and middle eastern deities.  (Storm gods)

I seem to recall a couple of books that I read mentioning hades as a real place and some sitethey found that may have been a tourist/pilgrimage site for the underworld with a river/waterway and some sort of altar with a mix of devices that suggest there might have been a Disney like performance put on for the pilgrims.  :).  It might be similar to what the pbs show was talking about. 

When I was really little I remember dreaming about an Egyptian temple with underground channels with a boat in it that took you into the underworld.  It seems such a place like that actually existed.   I can't help but wonder if one Underworld Pilgrimage Ride inspired the other or if they were created independently.  I do know there is a site they think was the remake Xibalba in a submerged cave/cenote in the peten.   Maybe the maya built one as well.  :)

(Argh!  I hate having to answer by text!!)